Skip to main content

"Purpose-driven"...but whose purpose?

This week, I engaged in a team-building activity with some fellow committee members. We actually filled out some personality assessments, and it was just as enlightening as it was entertaining, as such things often are. It could not have been a more timely exercise, given the fact that I had been pondering my purpose that morning, and how it matched or clashed with my lifestyle and many commitments.

Between gulps of coffee, and handfuls of vitamins and stomach remedies, I rushed to cover dark circles and brush my long hair (as in, long overdue for a decent haircut) into a presentable state. Between wardrobe changes, and checking my blood pressure (insert frowney face), I bypassed the scales and checked off a list of to-do's that were no less urgent than my dog's whimpering to be let outside...a typical empty-nest morning for me, now.

As I looked over my still half-unchecked to-do list that evening, I wondered if it was any more than that, in some cases. What is this endless whirlwind of activity for? (pardon the grammatical error, but the crudely constructed phrase seemed to better suit the desperation of the question...)

Last evening, I remarked to my husband, "I'm tired! Getting up at 4 am and running all day doesn't really suit me these days..."  "And I do it every day," he added, with a sigh. "Yes," I replied, "but you're a truck, and I'm a mini-cooper. I'm not designed for this." We laughed, but the jest rang true.

Ask yourself:  Am I driven by my passion or by pressure? Am I fulfilling my purpose, or just fulfilling a daily, rolling serious of to-do lists?

When we force ourselves to live outside our purposes, we create our own stress, anxiety, and a myriad of other emotional and physical consequences that crush our inspiration and inhibit our ability to do what we were designed to do. It's like squeezing into a pair of jeans that are WAY to small, then wondering why we are uncomfortable, breathless, irritable, and unable to carry out our daily mission because we simply can't move. Don't fall into the flawed philosophy of forcing yourself to into roles and responsibilities that don't line up with your purpose: "If it zips, it fits!" Not true!

You can make many plans, but the Lord’s purpose will prevail.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Obligations

So, you made it through Monday, presumably... How many days have we wished away, that could have been significant in our life--or the life of another--if we had only "exerted ourselves," as Jane Austen so beautifully described it? So many things we know we should do--yet we don't. Yesterday, my husband traveled hundreds of miles for a 30-minute funeral, but I had encouraged him to go. It was important to the family, overall, but especially meaningful to the immediate family of his great uncle, who passed away.  Many times in our lives, we have these opportunities. Sometimes we take them; sometimes we do not. I have found that I always regret NOT going, rather than the reverse. It made me think -- it's time to look at our social and familial obligations in a different way. Once I read something written by a life coach who encouraged the philosophy of taking each day more deliberately--especially in the way we verbalize it. Instead of "I have to go to the st...

SMART Goals: Week Two--Let's Make it Measurable

SMART Goals are Specific, first of all. I hope we have adequately covered that, via the "pick your battles wisely" philosophy. We mulled over priorities, meandered around realities, and meditated on possibilities...all in the spirit of choosing three essential goals for the year. Next, it is absolutely crucial that that we make our goals (outcomes) measurable. Without being measured, there is no definition of success (or failure, but we do not intend to be pessimistic so soon). You must know where this is going. If something is going to be measured, that brings some serious accountability into the equation---scary, huh? I don't know about you, but my blood pressure has a somewhat Pavlovian response that word--in the worst way...It makes you think about horrific things, such as report cards, the President's fitness test, and oh, yes, that dreaded but inevitable moment when the medical assistant in your doctor's office smiles and says, "now if you will just ...

NEMESIS, TRAPS AND DIGRESSIONS, OH MY!

Let's begin at the beginning. You have challenges. You have issues. You have enemies. All of the above would be true for any of us -- from slacker to slave, from victim to hero -- but there is actually one very small but highly distinguishing characteristic: perspective. Yes, the thing that makes mountains out of molehills--and vice versa--is undoubtedly the key to success or failure, and the common thread through the story of every hero. Something interesting about perspective: it can be found, lost, and regained -- although sometimes elusive, it's always attainable.  Through the next week, we will explore the various things responsible for our lost perspective, and talk about how to get it back. I was about to say that there are three things that generally rob us of our proper perspective, but that would imply that it can be taken from us, by force. The fact is, unfortunately, we sometimes "lose" our perspective as easily as we misplace our keys, cell phone, ...