Skip to main content

Why am I stuck here?



Today, while conducting a training session on leadership for some teen girls, I found myself talking about experiences at my old job.  Relaxed, happy, and enjoying life, how far removed I am today from the stomach-knotting, headache-inducing days in that torturous job.  If you have ever worked for a bully, you know what I'm talking about.

That being said, I must confess that I was able to say that I have no regrets about the experience. I suffered much, but learned more, and the things that hurt me the most made me stronger and more aware of myself and others. 

I was teaching from Titus 3:1, where Paul was giving instructions to be related to their church leaders. "Remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities, to obey, to be ready for every good work, to speak evil of no one, to be peaceable, gentle, showing all humility to all men."

The word teaches us that obedience and respect are not subject to change, based on our circumstances or environments.  We are equally accountable, across all levels of hardship or ease. Whether our boss could be best characterized as Mother Theresa or Cruella DeVil, taking God's Word to heart can make all the difference in our attitude, which, in turn, manifests in our actions.

One valuable thing I learned--and pass on today--is this: When people or things provoke you, instead of asking, why me?, ask, Lord, what are you trying to teach me?  It's that simple.

Don't see the problem, see the opportunity to learn something--about yourself, or others. This is the key to getting out of that foxhole with a sound mind and body.  The truth of the matter is, God has a "no child left behind" policy. This is why we find ourselves "looped" through the same lesson over, and over, and over---retaking the test we've failed until we get it right.  In the end, this works better for us if we go into challenges with eyes wide open, with a heightened sense of awareness, an open heart, and a teachable mind.

Try it. It saved my life.

PS Diet day two--I made it without cheating :)  I've lost two pounds so far.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Obligations

So, you made it through Monday, presumably... How many days have we wished away, that could have been significant in our life--or the life of another--if we had only "exerted ourselves," as Jane Austen so beautifully described it? So many things we know we should do--yet we don't. Yesterday, my husband traveled hundreds of miles for a 30-minute funeral, but I had encouraged him to go. It was important to the family, overall, but especially meaningful to the immediate family of his great uncle, who passed away.  Many times in our lives, we have these opportunities. Sometimes we take them; sometimes we do not. I have found that I always regret NOT going, rather than the reverse. It made me think -- it's time to look at our social and familial obligations in a different way. Once I read something written by a life coach who encouraged the philosophy of taking each day more deliberately--especially in the way we verbalize it. Instead of "I have to go to the st...

SMART Goals: Week Two--Let's Make it Measurable

SMART Goals are Specific, first of all. I hope we have adequately covered that, via the "pick your battles wisely" philosophy. We mulled over priorities, meandered around realities, and meditated on possibilities...all in the spirit of choosing three essential goals for the year. Next, it is absolutely crucial that that we make our goals (outcomes) measurable. Without being measured, there is no definition of success (or failure, but we do not intend to be pessimistic so soon). You must know where this is going. If something is going to be measured, that brings some serious accountability into the equation---scary, huh? I don't know about you, but my blood pressure has a somewhat Pavlovian response that word--in the worst way...It makes you think about horrific things, such as report cards, the President's fitness test, and oh, yes, that dreaded but inevitable moment when the medical assistant in your doctor's office smiles and says, "now if you will just ...

When it’s too much...#INSUFFICIENT

It’s Monday again, and —-wait, how did you just react to that? Did your shoulders square up or droop? Did you take a deep, invigorating breath, or expel a sigh? Whatever you’re facing this week, whether it’s the fire-breathing dragon in the corner office, the mean girl in the next cubicle or the inadequacies you see when you look in the mirror, the fact that you’re facing the same ongoing battles over and over doesn’t make them any easier, or the outcome any more certain.  Some days you still feel like the tiny 6th-grader, overloaded with heavy books, forgetting your locker combination, getting bullied out of your lunch money, and overwhelmed by the crowd of boisterous over-achievers. There you are, just trying to get by without being run over, caught up and pulled down in the undertow. Much like the chaos and turbulence of a hallway crowded with middle-schoolers hyped up on sodas and hormones, some of the biggest rivers we have to cross are overwhelming, mind-boggling and equal...